Skip to main content
Advertising | The Official Website of the Chicago Bears

Game Recap

Brought to you by

Game Recap: Bears rally but drop OT thriller to Saints


The Bears erased a 23-13 deficit in the final 3:32 of the fourth quarter Sunday at Soldier Field but lost to the Saints 26-23 in overtime on Wil Lutz's 35-yard field goal with 1:36 remaining in the extra session.

The Bears led 13-3 in the second quarter before the Saints scored 20 unanswered points to take a 23-13 lead. But Nick Foles threw a 3-yard touchdown pass to Darnell Mooney to make it 23-20 with 3:32 to play and Cairo Santos followed with a 51-yard field goal into the wind with just :13 remaining in regulation to tie the score 23-23.

The Saints won the overtime coin toss but were forced to punt on their first possession. The Bears took over at their own 19 and picked up a first down on Foles' 17-yard pass to a diving Allen Robinson II on third-and-15. But the Bears had to punt after Anthony Miller and Jimmy Graham dropped passes and Foles was sacked.

Drew Brees then engineered the Saints' game-winning seven-play, 52-yard drive that was highlighted by Alvin Kamara's 20-yard run to the Bears' 11.

In losing back-to-back contests for the first time this season, the Bears fell to 5-3, a half-game behind the first-place Packers (5-2) in the NFC North. Green Bay lost to the Vikings 28-22 earlier Sunday at Lambeau Field.

The Bears took a 13-3 second-quarter lead, thanks to their longest pass and longest rush by a running back this season. 

Foles rainbowed a 50-yard completion to Mooney, setting up Foles' 24-yard touchdown pass to a diving Robinson in the left corner of the end zone two plays later. Robinson's third TD of the season gave the Bears a 10-3 lead with 8:10 left in the second quarter.

Two possessions later, David Montgomery dashed up the middle 38 yards to the Saints' 14, leading to Santos' 29-yard field goal, which increased the Bears' lead to 13-3 with 1:39 remaining in the half. 

Prior to Sunday, the Bears' longest pass was Foles' 42-yard completion to Robinson in last Monday night's loss to the Rams, and their longest rush by a running back was Montgomery's 23-yard gain in a Week 2 win over the Giants. The team's longest rush of the season was quarterback Mitchell Trubisky's 45-yard scamper in a Week 3 win in Atlanta.

The Saints answered, however, climbing to within 13-10 on Brees' 16-yard touchdown pass to Jared Cook with just :03 left in the half. It appeared there was a mix-up in the Bears secondary on the play, leaving the veteran tight end wide open.

The Saints had taken a 3-0 lead on Lutz's 38-yard field goal on the game's opening possession, capping a 12-play, 55-yard drive.

The Bears responded on their first possession, tying the score 3-3 on Santos' 44-yard field goal late in the first quarter. The kick capped a 14-play, 49-yard drive that was highlighted by Montgomery's 9-yard run on third-and-seven that resulted in a first down at the Saints' 23.

The Bears opened the second half with a delay of game penalty on third-and-four, followed by a sack and a false start on a punt. Deonte Harris then returned a punt 42 yards to the Chicago 16, setting up Lutz's 27-yard field goal, tying the score 13-13.

Foles followed by throwing a pass off his back foot that was intercepted by cornerback Marshon Lattimore at the Bears' 39. The Saints converted the turnover into Lutz's 39-yard field, taking a 16-13 lead.

Late in the third quarter, Roquan Smith and Khalil Mack teamed up to drop Kamara for a two-yard loss on fourth-and-1 from the Chicago 41. 

But the Bears offense failed to take advantage of the opportunity, turning the ball over on downs when Foles overthrew Robinson on fourth-and-5 from the Saints' 36. A 54-yard field goal wasn't an option because the Bears were going into a strong wind. 

The Saints followed by extending their lead to 23-13 on Brees' 20-yard touchdown pass to Taysom Hill with 9:57 left in the game. 

The Bears closed to within 23-20 on Foles' 3-yard TD pass to Mooney on third-and-goal with 3:32 remaining. Foles completed 6-of-6 passes for 55 yards on the 11-play, 75-yard drive.

The Bears defense forced a three-and-out as Danny Trevathan dropped Kamara for a three-yard loss on a swing pass. 

After a punt, the Bears took over at their own 35 with 1:51 to go. They proceeded to march to the Saints' 33—converting two fourth-down plays in the process. Their final play was a 15-yard completion from Foles to Miller on third-and-18.

Santos then drilled a 51-yard field goal into the wind, tying the score 23-23 with :13 remaining and sending the game into overtime.

See the game unfold through the lenses of our sideline photographers as the Bears face off against the Saints at home on a Sunday afternoon in Chicago.

Related Content