Skip to main content
Advertising | The Official Website of the Chicago Bears

Game Recap

Brought to you by

Game Recap: Bears' rally falls short in Green Bay


GREEN BAY, Wis. – The Bears' fourth-quarter rally fell short Sunday at Lambeau Field, resulting in a deflating 21-13 loss to the rival Packers.

The Bears trailed just 7-3 at halftime but allowed the Packers to score touchdowns on their first two possessions of the second half to take a commanding 21-3 lead.

The defense stiffened and the offense sprung to life, however, as the Bears closed the gap to 21-13 midway through the fourth quarter. But two late drives ended with a Mitchell Trubisky interception with 6:22 remaining and a fourth-down incompletion from the Green Bay 49 with 1:42 to play.

The loss dropped the Bears to 7-7, snapping a three-game winning streak. The defending NFC North champions were officially eliminated from playoff contention later Sunday when the Vikings beat the Chargers 39-10.

The Bears defense allowed only seven points and 129 yards in the first half. But the unit permitted 14 points and 139 yards on Green Bay's two first drives of the second half, with running back Aaron Jones capping the possessions with touchdown runs of 21 and 2 yards.

The Packers took a 7-0 lead on Aaron Rodgers' 29-yard touchdown pass to Davante Adams on fourth-and-four with 4:47 left in the first quarter.

Green Bay started the possession at the Bears' 35 after Pat O'Donnell's 34-yard punt and a 15-yard penalty on Cordarrelle Patterson for interfering with punt returner Tyler Ervin's ability to catch the ball.

After back-to-back three-and-outs, the Bears crossed into Packers territory for the first time but turned the ball over on downs at the Green Bay 41.

Trubisky's pass on third-and-seven was just out of Anthony Miller's reach downfield. On fourth-and-seven, Trubisky threw deep to Miller, who caught the ball at the 3 but only got one foot inbounds.

The Bears cut the deficit to 7-3 on their next possession on Eddy Piñeiro's 30-yard field goal with 1:45 left in the half. The kick was set up by Trubisky's 33-yard pass to Miller to the Green Bay 28.

The Packers opened the second half with a 5-play, 73-yard touchdown drive, widening the margin to 14-3. Aaron Jones capped the possession with a 21-yard TD run. Rodgers set up the score with a 34-yard pass to Adams and a 17-yard scramble up the middle, the Green Bay quarterback's longest run of the season.

The Bears responded as Trubisky connected with Allen Robinson II down the right sideline for 34 yards to the Green Bay 38. But four plays later the two failed to connect on a fourth-and-six pass, turning the ball over on downs.

The Packers increased their lead to 21-3 on Jones' 2-yard touchdown run midway through the third quarter. The TD was set up by Rodgers' 49-yard pass to receiver Jake Kumerow.

The Bears defense stiffened, however, holding Green Bay to 20 yards and one first down on the Packers' next four possessions.

The Bears closed to within two scores at 21-6 on Pineiro's 27-yard field goal on the first play of the fourth period.

They scored their first touchdown of the season against the Packers on their next possession, cutting the deficit to 21-13 on Trubisky's 2-yard TD pass to Miller on third-and-goal with 8:09 left in the game.

On the Bears' next possession, Trubisky's pass in the right flat was intercepted by defensive lineman Dean Lowry, who returned it seven yards to the Bears' 33 with 6:33 left in the game. The Bears later turned the ball over on downs when Trubisky failed to connect with Robinson on fourth-and-10.

See the game unfold through the lenses of our sideline photographers as the Bears face off in a Week 15 rivalry matchup against the Green Bay Packers in Wisconsin.

Related Content