The Bears will host the 49ers Sunday at Soldier Field. Here are nine nuggets about the matchup and the all-time series between the teams:
(1) The Bears have not allowed a touchdown in their last three games against the 49ers, winning 26-6 in 2016 and 14-9 in 2018 and losing 15-14 in 2017.
(2) The Bears' Willie Thrower became the first Black quarterback in NFL history Oct. 18, 1953 when he replaced an ineffective George Blanda in a loss to the 49ers at Wrigley Field, completing 3 of 8 passes for 27 yards.
(3) Cornerback Nathan Vasher scored two of his three career touchdowns against the 49ers—on a 71-yard interception return in 2004 and a 108-yard return of a missed field goal in 2005, both in wins over San Francisco at Soldier Field.
(4) Gale Sayers tied an NFL record by scoring six touchdowns Dec. 12, 1965 in a 61-20 rout of the 49ers at Wrigley Field. The Kansas Comet reached the end zone on rushes of 21, 7, 50 and 1 yards, an 80-yard reception and an 85-yard punt return.
(5) Defensive tackle William "Refrigerator" Perry was utilized on offense for the first time late in a 1985 win over the 49ers in San Francisco, rushing for four yards on two carries. Coach Mike Ditka gave the ball to Perry as payback after the 49ers had played guard Guy McIntyre in the backfield in San Francisco's 23-0 win over the Bears in the 1984 NFC Championship Game.
(6) Willie Galimore's 181 yards rushing Sept. 16, 1962 in San Francisco remain the most by a Bears player in a game against the 49ers. Galimore scored on touchdown runs of 37 and 77 yards to propel the Bears to a 30-14 win.
(7) The two teams have alternated winning the last six meetings, with the Bears victorious in 2014, 2016 and 2018 and losing to the 49ers in 2012, 2015 and 2017.
(8) Trying to combat passes being thrown over his head, Bears Hall of Famer Bill George became the NFL's first middle linebacker when he backed off the line from his middle guard position in a 1954 game versus the 49ers.
(9) The lone punt-return touchdown of Tarik Cohen's career came Dec. 3, 2017 via a 61-yarder against the 49ers at Soldier Field.