| The Official Website of the Chicago Bears

Game Recap

Brought to you by

Game Recap: Bears fall to Rams in Los Angeles


LOS ANGELES – The Bears offense continued to struggle and kicker Eddy Piñeiro missed two field-goal attempts Sunday night in a deflating 17-7 loss to the Rams at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

The Bears defense generated takeaways on the Rams' first two possessions of the game. On Los Angeles' very first play from scrimmage, Eddie Jackson stripped the ball from running back Todd Gurley and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix scooped up the fumble and returned it one yard to the Rams 46.

But the Bears turned the ball over on downs as cornerback Jalen Ramsey broke up Mitchell Trubisky's pass intended for Taylor Gabriel on fourth-and-nine from the Rams' 31. The Bears opted not to attempt a 49-yard field goal after Piñeiro had missed a 48-yard try wide left on the game's opening possession.

Roquan Smith followed by intercepted a Jared Goff pass at the Bears' 17. The offense marched to the Rams' 29, but Piñeiro missed again, this time wide right from 47 yards.

The Rams took a 3-0 lead on Greg Zuerlein's 38-yard field goal early in the second quarter, capping an eight-play, 43-yard drive.

Later in the period, Trubisky's pass deflected off Anthony Miller's hand and was intercepted by cornerback Troy Hill, who returned it six yards to the Bears' 44.

The Rams converted the turnover into Gurley's 1-yard touchdown run, increasing their lead to 10-0 with 3:28 remaining in the first half. The TD came one play after Goff's 50-yard completion to Cooper Kupp, the longest pass play the Bears have allowed this season.

The Bears were held scoreless in the first half for the third time this season despite gaining 151 yards on 41 plays, picking up nine first downs and possessing the ball for 18:00.

The Bears got into the red zone—and the end zone—for the first time on their first possession of the second half. Trubisky's 14-yard touchdown pass to Tarik Cohen cut the deficit to 10-7 with 7:10 left in the third quarter.

Trubisky completed 7 of 9 passes for 66 yards on the 12-play, 80-yard drive. He left the game in the fourth quarter with a right hip injury he sustained late in the first half and was replaced by Chase Daniel.

The Bears defense tightened in the second half, shutting down the Rams running game and forcing four straight three-and-outs. But the Bears offense failed to capitalize.

The Rams eventually extended their lead to 17-7 on Malcolm Brown's 4-yard touchdown run with 3:31 left in the fourth quarter.

See the game unfold through the lenses of our sideline photographers as the Bears face off against the Los Angeles Rams under the lights during Sunday Night Football.

Related Content