Skip to main content
Advertising | The Official Website of the Chicago Bears

Quick Hits

Brought to you by

Quick Hits: Robinson, Miller show resiliency in win


No one embodied the Bears' resiliency and perseverance Sunday in Atlanta more than receivers Allen Robinson II and Anthony Miller.

Both rebounded after having second-half touchdown receptions taken off the board via replay reversals to get back into the end zone in the fourth quarter, fueling a thrilling 30-26 comeback victory over the Falcons.

Robinson broke two tackles on a 37-yard touchdown reception that drew the Bears to within 26-23 with 4:21 remaining. It came after he had hauled in an apparent 21-yard TD in the third quarter. But the call was reversed after a replay review to an interception by Falcons cornerback Darqueze Dennard, who snatched the ball away from Robinson as the two players tumbled to the ground in the end zone.

Robinson was still fuming about the call after the game, but he didn't let it prevent him from catching a key fourth-quarter touchdown pass from Nick Foles.

"I want to see how great I can be, how resilient I can be," said Robinson, who led the Bears with 10 catches for 123 yards. "When you have things like that that happen, it's just about bouncing back and making the next play. That's what it is. If I'm going to help lead this team to have success, it's going to be plays like that, it's going to be situations like that. No matter how wrong the call was or whatever, I've got to be able to bounce back and make a play, which I was able to do."

Miller's apparent 17-yard TD catch on fourth-and-goal early in the fourth quarter was reversed when replays showed the ball hit the ground as he dove in the end zone. The third-year pro later hauled in the game-winning score, a 28-yard TD strike from Foles.

"I'm always the person who's trying to be in 'A-Mill's' ear because I know how good he is," Robinson said. "I know everybody around us wants perfection, but it's not going to be perfect. I tell 'A-Mill' all the time, 'Man, just try to make the plays'. It's not always going to be perfect. When you look across the league, people have drops. But at the end of the day, just make more plays than you don't make, and that's what he was able to do today. I told him, 'Put that [first one] away. Go out and make a play,' and when he got his number called, he had the game-winning touchdown for us, which was huge."

“When you have things like that happen, it’s just about bouncing back and making the next play.” Bears receiver Allen Robinson II

Trubisky dealt with move like professional

To no one's surprise, quarterback Mitchell Trubisky displayed a team-first attitude after being replaced by Foles in the third quarter. Trubisky told reporters that he was informed of the move by offensive coordinator Bill Lazor.

"I just accepted the news," said Trubisky, who completed 13 of 22 passes for 128 yards with one touchdown, one interception and a 71.8 passer rating. "I had Nick's back like he's had mine. The situation sucked, but it was just the flow of the game, how it was happening, coach [Matt Nagy] made the decision that he felt was best for the team. I'm really happy for this team. They battled back and it was awesome to get a 'W,' but it sucks to get news like that. But that's just how it goes. I've just got to control what I can control."

Trubisky was benched after being intercepted by Falcons cornerback Blidi Wreh-Wilson on a pass intended for tight end Jimmy Graham on the Bears' second possession of the second half.

"I was just working through my progression," Trubisky said. "I didn't see the defender in front of Jimmy. We just weren't on the same page. I was trying to get him the ball going out the backside and I didn't see that defender in front of him. I've just got to see in front of throws and make better decisions. Obviously, I have to play better to keep my job. It all falls back on me for not playing better in the first half, and when you have crappy plays like that, you put it out of your hands, and it is tough."

Nagy didn't enter the game planning to replace Trubisky with Foles, but the Bears coach conceded that he discussed the move with his assistants at halftime.

"We were lacking a little bit of rhythm," Nagy said. "There wasn't a lot of energy. There was just something missing a little bit … We wanted to be able to go out [in the second half] and just kind of get a feel for how things would go. Really when that interception occurred, I think you just kind of felt like, 'OK, we've got to make a move here.'"

Nagy declined to say whether Foles would start next Sunday's home game against the Indianapolis Colts.

"We haven't [decided] yet, Nagy said. "I think what we'll do is we'll go back and just kind of enjoy this one right now and then we'll talk through where we're at and what we think is the best decision moving forward. Honestly, we're not there right now."

Gipson cements win with interception

The Bears defense generated its only takeaway of the game at a key juncture; the Falcons had reached the Chicago 44 with 1:14 remaining when safety Tashaun Gipson Sr. intercepted an overthrown Matt Ryan pass to preserve the victory.

"My biggest thing was to come in here and show that I belong in this secondary," said Gipson, who signed with the Bears in March after registering 23 interceptions in eight NFL seasons with the Browns (2012-15), Jaguars (2016-18) and Texans (2019). "When the opportunity came, it just fell right into my lap. I just judged the ball and did what I've been doing most of my career."

Even a seasoned veteran like Gipson cherished Sunday's remarkable victory—especially after the Bears had staged a similar rally in the season opener in Detroit.

"It's just a crazy win," Gipson said. "Wins are hard to come by, let alone wins like this. It was a rollercoaster; this one was a little more extreme than Week 1. When I signed up here, I didn't know I was going to be aging and get some gray hairs."

The Bears had seemingly forced a turnover in the second quarter with a strip-sack by Khalil Mack that was recovered by Akiem Hicks. But the play was nullified by a penalty on Mario Edwards Jr. for roughing-the-passer.

Related Content