Skip to main content
Advertising | The Official Website of the Chicago Bears

Game Recap

Brought to you by

Game Recap: Bears break out in MNF win


LANDOVER, MD – The Bears traveled to Washington after scoring only one touchdown and generating just one takeaway in their first two games of the season.

Determined to improve in both of those key areas, the Bears accomplished that objective and then some during a breakout first half against the Redskins.

The defending NFC North champions scored four touchdowns and produced three takeaways in racing to a 28-3 halftime lead en route to a 31-15 victory on Monday Night Football at FedEx Field.

With their second straight win, the Bears improved to 2-1.

The defense set the tone early as Ha Ha Clinton-Dix intercepted an overthrown Case Keenum pass and returned it 37 yards for his first career touchdown.

After their first two drives ended in punts, the Bears scored touchdowns on three straight possessions—all on passes from Mitchell Trubisky to Taylor Gabriel of 3, 1 and 36 yards.

The first two came 1:18 apart in the second quarter and were sandwiched by Khalil Mack's strip/sack of Keenum, which resulted in a fumble that Akiem Hicks recovered at the Redskins' 11.

Kyle Fuller followed with a diving interception, his second pick in as many games and his ninth since the start of the 2018 season.

The Bears converted their third takeaway into their fourth touchdown of the half as Trubisky lofted a 36-yard TD pass to Gabriel with :36 left in the half. Gabriel was initially ruled out of bounds, but the call was reversed after a replay review showed that he deftly got both feet in bounds.

In the first half, Trubisky completed 20 of 23 passes for 173 yards with three touchdowns, no interceptions and a 137.6 passer rating.

Dustin Hopkins, who earlier had missed a 43-yard field goal wide left, hit a 35-yarder on the final play of the second quarter, cutting the deficit to 28-3.

The Bears opened the second half the way they ended the first as Clinton-Dix intercepted a Keenum pass and returned it 60 yards to the Redskins' 24. It was the defense's fourth takeaway against a Redskins offense that had not committed a turnover in its first two games.

The Bears failed to capitalize, however, as Eddy Piñeiro—limping noticeably throughout the game due to a sore knee—pushed a 44-yard field goal attempt wide right.

The Redskins produced their first touchdown of the game on Keenum's 15-yard pass to rookie receiver Terry McLaurin midway through the third quarter. The two-point conversion failed, keeping the Bears' lead at 28-9.

The Bears committed their first turnover of the game as Trubisky's pass on second-and-three from the Redskins' 6 was intercepted by Josh Norman.

The Redskins followed with a 97-yard drive capped by Keenum's 2-yard TD pass to Paul Richardson Jr. on fourth-and-goal. The two-point conversion failed, making the score 28-15 with 13:11 remaining in the game.

The Redskins were driving again when the Bears defense produced its fifth takeaway of the game. On fourth-and-1 from the Chicago 16, Keenum reached the ball out in front of him on a quarterback sneak and Danny Trevathan knocked the ball loose. The fumble was recovered by Eddie Jackson.

See the game unfold through the lenses of our sideline photographers as the Bears face off against the Washington Redskins on the road during Monday Night Football.

Related Content