Skip to main content
Advertising | The Official Website of the Chicago Bears

Game Recap

Brought to you by

Game Recap: Bears drop home finale


The Bears were dominated on both sides of the ball by a Super Bowl contender Sunday night, losing their home finale to the Chiefs 26-3 at Soldier Field.

In dropping their second straight game, the Bears fell to 7-8. They'll try to avoid finishing the year with a losing record next Sunday when they close the season by visiting the Vikings in Minnesota.

The Chiefs scored on all three of their possessions in the first half, cruising to a 17-0 halftime lead while outgaining the Bears in total yards 203-93.

In the first 30 minutes, Patrick Mahomes completed 16 of 22 passes for 160 yards. Kansas City's Pro Bowl quarterback produced two touchdowns on a 12-yard run and a 6-yard pass to tight end Travis Kelce.

On their first possession, the Chiefs marched 82 yards on 15 plays capped by Mahomes' TD scamper. After Harrison Butker's booming 56-yard field goal made it 10-0, Mahomes capped a 13-play, 95-yard drive by hitting Kelce, extending Kansas City's lead to 17-0 with :52 left in the second quarter.

In the first half, the Bears ran only three of 23 plays in Chiefs territory—never advancing beyond the Kansas City 43.

Mahomes finished the game completing 23 of 33 passes for 251 yards with two TDs, no turnovers and a 112.1 passer rating.

On their first possession of the second half, the Bears marched 83 yards from their own 13 to the Chiefs' 4. But on fourth-and-goal, Trubisky's pass intended for Allen Robinson was broken up by cornerback Charvarius Ward in the left corner of the end zone. The drive was highlighted by a pair of 16-yard runs by David Montgomery and Cordarrelle Patterson.

Trubisky connected on 18 of 34 passes for 157 yards and a 65.4 passer rating.

Eddy Pineiro drilled a 46-yard field goal as time expired in the third quarter, drawing the Bears to within 17-3.

But the Chiefs answered as Mahomes connected with running back Damien Williams for a 14-yard touchdown on a swing pass early in the fourth quarter.

Butker's extra-point attempt hit the left upright and then the upright before falling to the ground—yes, a double doink—but the Chiefs still led 23-3.

Butker later connected on a 32-yard field goal to widen the margin to 26-3 with 1:40 remaining.

See the game unfold through the lenses of our sideline photographers as the Bears face off against the Kansas City Chiefs under the lights in Chicago.

Related Content