Skip to main content
Advertising | The Official Website of the Chicago Bears

Game Recap

Brought to you by

Game Recap: Bears' slow first half leads to loss vs. Eagles


PHILADELPHIA – After a lifeless first half Sunday against the Eagles, the Bears cut into a 19-0 deficit with a pair of touchdowns but ultimately couldn't get over the hump in a 22-14 loss at Lincoln Financial Field.

The Bears (3-5) have now lost four straight after a promising 3-1 start.

The Bears were completely dominated on both sides of the ball in the first half Sunday, as the Eagles held decisive advantages in total yards (202-9) first downs (14-2) and time of possession (20:45-9:15).

Philadelphia led only 12-0 at halftime, however, thanks mostly to two key third-down stops by the Bears defense inside their own 10 that forced the Eagles to settle for a pair of Jake Elliott 28-yard field goals.

The Bears offense was inept, going three-and-out on each of its first five possessions while being limited to minus-10 yards on 15 plays. The unit didn't pick up its initial first down until there was :48 left in the first half.

The Bears committed eight penalties for 56 yards in the first half, including four offside fouls on three different players.

The Eagles took a 3-0 lead on Elliott's first field goal on their first possession after Eddie Goldman sacked Carson Wentz on third-and-goal from the 3.

Elliott's second field goal made it 6-0 early in the second quarter after Prince Amukamara dropped Miles Sanders for a three-yard loss on a quick pass on third-and-two from the 7.

The Eagles increased their margin to 12-0 on Wentz's 25-yard touchdown pass to Zach Ertz with 6:21 left in the first half. A flag was thrown on the play seemingly for pass interference on Ertz, who shoved Kyle Fuller away from him by Fuller's helmet. But the officials picked up the flag.

It appeared the Bears had stopped the Eagles earlier on the drive when Wentz threw an incomplete pass on fourth-and-one from the Chicago 38. But a roughing-the-passer penalty on Nick Williams gave Philadelphia a first down.

The Eagles opened the second half with an 8-play, 84-yard drive that was capped by Jordan Howard's 13-yard touchdown run through a wide open hole up the middle, widening the margin to 19-0.

The Bears finally showed some signs of life on offense, as Trubisky's season-long 53-yard completion to Taylor Gabriel set up David Montgomery's 1-yard TD run that cut the deficit to 19-7 midway through the third quarter.

A second Montgomery 1-yard TD run trimmed the margin to 19-14 with 12:43 left in the fourth quarter, capping an eight-play, 58-yard drive.

But the Bears could get no closer. The Eagles converted four third-down plays on a lengthy drive that resulted in Elliott's 38-yard field goal with :25 remaining. Philadelphia then recovered its subsequent squibbed kickoff after it was muffed by the Bears' Adam Shaheen.

See the game unfold through the lenses of our sideline photographers as the Bears face off against the Philadelphia Eagles on the road.

Related Content